to the Editor
Enter our football competition
to win an iPod!
interference Halo Bos!
English borrowings in IndonesianBritish
Where does the English
language come from?
word of the month
A new word is born:
How do new words
make it into dictionaries?
Web Watch NEW!
the singing dictionary
To get you into the World Cup spirit and to test your knowledge of football
and football words and phrases in English, a competition was launched
in the April 2006 issue.
You can find the first of three competition question in
the April issue,
and the second one in this current edition. The remaining question will
be published in early June. When you know the answers to all three questions,
you will be able to enter the competition in the June issue of
To read the second question in our competition, you'll only need to download
And if you'd like to see the answers to the football activities, download
The winner will be sent a 1GB
iPod Nano with special Macmillan English Dictionary engraving.
The following rules apply to this competition.
1. The closing date for the draw is Monday 10th July 2006
at 12 noon GMT.
2. The winner will be announced in the August 2006 issue of MED Magazine.
3. The competition is open to entrants worldwide, excepting employees
of Macmillan Publishers Limited, its subsidiary companies and their families.
4. Only one entry per person will be valid.
5. In the event of a dispute, the decision of Macmillan Publishers Limited
is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
6. Macmillan Publishers Limited reserve the right to change the prize
to one of equal value.