to the Editor
An exploration of
English football jargon
Enter this football competition
to win an iPod!
interference Different families, not distant
cousins: comparing Thai and
English around the world
word of the month
A new word is born:
How are new words formed?
MED Web Watch NEW!
World Wide Words
To get you into the World Cup spirit, we are launching a competition to
test your knowledge of football, the World Cup and football words and
phrases in English.
There is one question in this issue of MED Magazine, and
there will be two more questions in the May and June editions. When you
know the answers to all three questions, you will be able to enter the
competition in the June issue of MED Magazine.
To answer the first question in the competition, you'll only need to download
the PDF of the feature article.
The winner will be sent a 1GB
iPod Nano with special Macmillan English Dictionary engraving.
The following rules apply to this competition.
1. The closing date for the draw is Monday 10th July 2006
at 12 noon GMT.
2. The winner will be announced in the August 2006 issue of MED Magazine.
3. The competition is open to entrants worldwide, excepting employees
of Macmillan Publishers Limited, its subsidiary companies and their families.
4. Only one entry per person will be valid.
5. In the event of a dispute, the decision of Macmillan Publishers Limited
is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
6. Macmillan Publishers Limited reserve the right to change the prize
to one of equal value.